Whether you’re relocating to Chattanooga or considering moving to a suburban community, Chattanooga has plenty of great places to live. But one hidden gem — or two, since this community is in both Tennessee and Georgia — in the Chattanooga area is Lookout Mountain, a town of just 2,000 people located on a mountain range.
The Top Reasons to Live in Lookout Mountain
Lookout Mountain, TN and Lookout Mountain, GA are automatically appealing because of their mountaintop location and convenience to Downtown Chattanooga. But this community has so much to offer residents and home buyers. Here are just a few of the many reasons why you’ll love living in Lookout Mountain.
Two of Chattanooga’s main attractions are actually located in Lookout Mountain. Ruby Falls, named one of the “10 most incredible cave waterfalls on Earth,” attracts about 400,000 visitors to its 145-foot underground waterfall every year. Rock City, known for its panoramic views of seven states, attracts half a million visitors annually.
2. It Has Exceptional Public Schools
Lookout Mountain Elementary School, located on the Tennessee side, is among the top 5% of all schools in Tennessee. Fairyland Elementary School, located on the Georgia side, is in the top 5% of all schools in Georgia. You can learn more about Lookout Mountain’s schools here, as well as search for homes near each school, or search for private school options on my Chattanooga schools guide.
3. Local Shops and Restaurants are Nearby
There is a collection of shops, restaurants, and services on Scenic Highway in Lookout Mountain, TN. You can get to know your neighbors when you visit Cafe on the Corner, Market on the Mountain, Talus, and other places in the small town center.
4. Can You Say “Dream Homes”?
Because Lookout Mountain overlooks Chattanooga and the Moccasin Bend of the Tennessee River, there are plenty of homes with breathtaking panoramic views and luxurious amenities. Here are just a few:
- 1 Woodhill Drive — This 5-bedroom, 6,396-sq.ft. home is located in the Woodhill community. Its unique features include a main-floor master suite, two stone terraces, a koi pond, and a small waterfall in the backyard.
- 919 Scenic Highway — This 6-bedroom, 6,223-sq.ft. home was constructed using bricks from an 1865 church. It also features a swimming pool, screened porch, and custom finishes. It’s not surprising why it’s one of the most impressive homes in the Chattanooga area!
- 31 Bartram Road — This 4-bedroom, 4,097-sq.ft. home has a screened porch with beautiful wooded views, as well as a coveted cul-de-sac location.
5. The Recreation Programs are Second to None
The Lookout Mountain Rec Board makes sure that residents have plenty to do in town limits. Among Lookout Mountain’s many parks and recreation programs are youth sport leagues like baseball, basketball, soccer, and wrestling. For adults, nearby outdoor and fitness organizations include the Chattanooga chapter of the National Speleological Society, Lookout Mountain Golf Club, Tennessee Bouldering Authority, and High Point Climbing & Fitness.
Eager to Live in Lookout Mountain?
Lookout Mountain has everything: great schools, amazing views, plenty of amenities, and beautiful properties just minutes from Chattanooga. Can’t wait to call Lookout Mountain your new home? I can help you find your new home quickly and easily. Check out my Lookout Mountain area guide to find more information about the homes and amenities, or call me at 423-756-2400 if you’d like to tour some of the homes in person.